Document Type : reviewed article
Faculty Member/Institute of Materials and Energy/ Iranian Space Research Center/ Isfahan/ Iran
Faculty Member/Institute of Materials and Energy
Institute of Materials and Energy, Iranian Space Research Center,
Institute of Materials and Energy, Iranian Space Research Center
Iranian Space Research Center
Thermal barrier coatings (TBCs), are advanced ceramic systems that are usually applied to the surface of hot industrial parts to improve equipment performance at higher temperatures. During each thermal cycle, due to the mismatch in the coefficients of thermal expansion of TBC layers, these layers expand and contract unbalanced. The resulting thermal stresses cause the nucleation and growth of microcracks in the TBC system. After several hundreds of thermal cycles, the microcracks eventually combine and form a relatively large crack that causes spallation and separation of the coating, exposing the parts to high temperatures and ultimately leading to catastrophic failure of the entire equipment. The creation of self-healing capability provides the ability to repair cracks spontaneously. In this article, various types of technologies for achieving self-healing in YSZ thermal barrier coatings and the structure and properties of the resulting coatings have been introduced and reviewed. After extracting the technologies of applying self-healing thermal barrier coating and comparing them with each other, it is possible to obtain coatings with self-healing properties according to the needs of each industry and then determined the proper composition of the self-healing coating, the proper thickness of the self-healing coating layer, the proper arrangement of the self-healing coating layer and the parameters of the coating process
- Hammood, G. Barber, B. Wang, “A review of some of experimental and numerical studies of self‐crack‐healing in ceramics,” International Journal of Ceramic Engineering & Science, vol.2, pp. 274–291, 2020.
- R. Brinley, “Combustion turbine component having bond coating and associated methods,” U.S. Patent 8,192,850, 2012.
- Derelioglu, A.L. Carabat, G.M. Song, S. van der Zwaag, W.G. Sloof, “On the use of B-alloyed MoSi 2 particles as crack healing agents in yttria stabilized zirconia thermal barrier coatings,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol.35, pp. 4507–4511, 2015.
- Belmonte, “Advanced Ceramic Materials for High Temperature Applications,” Advanced engineering materials, vol.8, pp. 693–703, 2006.
- L. Carabat, M.J. Meijerink, J.C. Brouwer, E.M. Kelder, J.R. van Ommen, S. van der Zwaag, W.G. Sloof, “Protecting the MoSi2 healing particles for thermal barrier coatings using a sol-gel produced Al2O3 coating,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol.38, pp. 2728–2734, 2018.
- Chen, X. Zhang, S. van der Zwaag, W.G. Sloof, P. Xiao, “Damage evolution in a self-healing air plasma sprayed thermal barrier coating containing self-shielding MoSi2 particles,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol.102, pp. 4899–4910, 2019.
- Nozahic, D. Monceau, C. Estournès, “Thermal cycling and reactivity of a MoSi2/ZrO2 composite designed for self-healing thermal barrier coatings,” Materials & Design. vol.94, pp. 444–448, 2016.
- Carnicer, M.J. Orts, R. Moreno, E. Sánchez, “Influence of solids concentration on the microstructure of suspension plasma sprayed Y-TZP/Al2O3/SiC composite coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol.371, pp. 143–150, 2019.
- M. Lakiza, M.I. Grechanyuk, O.K. Ruban, V.P. Redko, M.S. Glabay, O.B. Myloserdov, O. V. Dudnik, S. V. Prokhorenko, “Thermal Barrier Coatings: Current Status, Search, and Analysis,” Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, vol.57, pp. 82–113, 2018.
- A. Kulkarni, R. Subramanian, A.J. Burns, “Bond coat compositions and arrangements of same capable of self healing,” U.S. Patent 7,507,484, 2009.
- Ouyang, X. Fang, Y. Zhang, D. Liu, Y. Wang, S. Feng, T. Zhou, S. Cai, J. Suo, “Enhancement of high temperature oxidation resistance and spallation resistance of SiC-self-healing thermal barrier coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol.286, pp. 365–375, 2016.
- Portilla-Zea, M.A. González, E. Rodríguez, G.I. Vásquez, “Enhanced adhesion resistance of an 8YSZ thermal barrier coating trough the formation of zircon and mullite as self-healing reaction products under cyclic oxidation conditions,” Materials Letters, vol.282, p. 128697, 2021.
- M. Doleker, Y. Ozgurluk, H. Ahlatci, A.C. Karaoglanli, “Evaluation of oxidation and thermal cyclic behavior of YSZ, Gd2Zr2O7 and YSZ/Gd2Zr2O7 TBCs,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol.371, pp. 262–275, 2019.
- Nozahic, C. Estournès, A.L. Carabat, W.G. Sloof, S. van der Zwaag, D. Monceau, “Self-healing thermal barrier coating systems fabricated by spark plasma sintering,” Materials & Design, vol.143, pp. 204–213, 2018.
- Ouyang, J. Wu, M. Yasir, T. Zhou, X. Fang, Y. Wang, D. Liu, J. Suo, “Effect of TiC self-healing coatings on the cyclic oxidation resistance and lifetime of thermal barrier coatings,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol.656, pp. 992–1003, 2016.
- M. Aouadi, J. GU, D. Berman, “Self-healing ceramic coatings that operate in extreme environments: A review,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films, vol.38, p. 050802, 2020.
- Koch, G. Mauer, R. Vaßen, “Manufacturing of Composite Coatings by Atmospheric Plasma Spraying Using Different Feed-Stock Materials as YSZ and MoSi2,” Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, vol.26, pp. 708–716, 2017.
- Krishnasamy, S.A. Ponnusami, S. Turteltaub, S. van der Zwaag, “Modelling the fracture behaviour of thermal barrier coatings containing healing particles,” Materials & Design, vol.157, pp. 75–86, 2018.
- Wang, C. Ming, X.H. Zhong, J.X. Ni, J.S. Yang, S.Y. Tao, F.F. Zhou, Y. Wang, “Microstructure and self-healing properties of multi-layered NiCoCrAlY/TAZ/YSZ thermal barrier coatings fabricated by atmospheric plasma spraying,” Applied Surface Science, vol.488, pp. 246–260, 2019.
- G. Sloof, “Self Healing in Coatings at High Temperatures,” Self healing materials. Springer, Dordrecht, pp. 309–321, 2007.
- Wang, F. Shao, X.H. Zhong, J.X. Ni, K. Yang, S.Y. Tao, Y. Wang, “Tailoring of self-healing thermal barrier coatings via finite element method,” Applied Surface Science, vol.431, pp. 60–74, 2018.
- Song, T. Song, U. Paik, G. Lyu, Y.-G. Jung, B.-G. Choi, I.-S. Kim, J. Zhang, “Crack-Resistance Behavior of an Encapsulated, Healing Agent Embedded Buffer Layer on Self-Healing Thermal Barrier Coatings,” Coatings, vol.9, p. 358, 2019.
- Kulczyk-Malecka, X. Zhang, J. Carr, A.L. Carabat, W.G. Sloof, S. van der Zwaag, F. Cernuschi, F. Nozahic, D. Monceau, C. Estournès, P.J. Withers, P. Xiao, “Influence of embedded MoSi2 particles on the high temperature thermal conductivity of SPS produced yttria-stabilised zirconia model thermal barrier coatings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol.308, pp. 31–39, 2016.
- Kulczyk-Malecka, X. Zhang, J. Carr, F. Nozahic, C. Estournès, D. Monceau, A.L. Carabat, W.G. Sloof, S. van der Zwaag, P.J. Withers, P. Xiao, “Thermo – mechanical properties of SPS produced self-healing thermal barrier coatings containing pure and alloyed MoSi2 particles,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol.38, pp. 4268–4275, 2018.