Document Type : Original Article
MS graduated/Sharif university of technology
Aerospace department, Sharif university of technology
Iranian Space Research Center Academic Staff
One of the key issues in the operations of on orbit servicing to unmanned satellites is to provide a safe and reliable docking process. This paper investigates the dynamic behavior of a flexible probe in the central docking mechanism of unmanned satellites.
For simulating the impact phenomenon, a dynamic analysis software (MSC. Adams) has been applied and a three-dimensional model has created based on the assumption of a flexible clamped beam as a shock absorber. The results are in good agreement with similar theoretical and experimental results. additionally, it is possible to consider the parameters such as the type of connection between the beam and the concentrated mass, angular and translational velocity of chaser and target satellites, in order to determine the optimum condition to perform a successful docking operation. The results of this study indicate that the use of a spherical joint for the ball attached to the probe, significantly reduces the maximum value of impact force. Also, the rotation of the sphere leads to less change in the linear and angular velocity of the target satellite and increases the probability of successful mating of the satellites. On the other hand, the movement of the conical area relative to the target satellite reduces the maximum impact force and shock resulting on the satellites structure. As a result, the chance of successful docking increases.
-  Fehse, Automated rendezvous and docking of spacecraft. Cambridge university press, 2003.
-  Zhang, S. Meguid, Y. Huang, and X. Chen, Accurate and consistent FE modelling of soft docking of micro/nano paired-satellites using variational inequalities, International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 509-523, 2016.
-  Zhang, Y. Huang, W. Han, and X. Chen, Research of flexible beam impact dynamics based on space probe-cone docking mechanism, Advances in Space Research, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 1053-1061, 2012.
-  B. Hays, P. Tchoryk, J. C. Pavlich, and G. Wassick, Dynamic simulation and validation of a satellite docking system, in Space Systems Technology and Operations, Vol. 5088, pp. 77-89, 2003.
-  B. Hays, P. Tchoryk, J. C. Pavlich, G. A. Ritter, and G. J. Wassick, Advancements in design of an autonomous satellite docking system, in Spacecraft Platforms and Infrastructure, Vol. 5419, pp. 107-119, 2004.
-  Boesso and A. Francesconi, ARCADE small-scale docking mechanism for micro-satellites, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 86, pp. 77-87, 2013.
-  Han, Y. Huang, and X. Chen, Research of impact dynamic modeling of flexible probe-cone docking mechanism based on Kane method, Archive of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 85, No. 2, pp. 205-221, 2015.
-  Han, Y. Huang, X. Chen, and X. Zhang, Flexible cone impact dynamics based on space probe-cone docking mechanism, Science China Physics, Mechanics and Astronomy, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 128-137, 2014.
-  Zhang, Y. Huang, W. Han, and X. Chen, Accurate shape description of flexible beam undergoing oblique impact based on space probe-cone docking mechanism, Advances in Space Research, Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 1018-1028, 2013.
- Zhang, Y. Huang, and X. Chen, Contact analysis of flexible beam during space docking process, Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 64, pp. 38-46, 2013.
- Zhang, Y. Huang, X. Chen, and W. Han, Modeling of a space flexible probe–cone docking system based on the Kane method, Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 248-258, 2014.
- Daneshjou and R. Alibakhshi, Multibody dynamical modeling for spacecraft docking process with spring-damper buffering device: A new validation approach, Advances in Space Research, Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 497-512, 2018.
- Alibakhshi and K. Daneshjou, A New Buffer in Impact Reduction for Aerospace Applications, Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 15, No. 5, 2018.
- م. نوابی، م. ر. اخلومدی. کنترل بهینه غیرخطی مساله ملاقات و اتصال فضایی. علوم و فناوری فضایی. 1394 [cited 2022June02];8(3):27-40. Available from: https://www.sid.ir/fa/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=295138
- م. بختیاری, ک. دانشجو, س. زلارعی. ردیابی و کنترل وضعیت نسبی یک ماهواره در حضور دینامیک موقعیت و اغتشاش جسم سوم با استفاده از کنترلر مود لغزشی. دانش و فناوری هوافضا 1400; 10(2).
- Han, Y. Y. Huang, X. Zhang, and X. Q. Chen, Collision Simulation Analysis for Space Flexible Probe-cone Docking Mechanism, in Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2012, Vol. 138, pp. 111-116: Trans Tech Pub.